Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Fort Bill, The Angel and Mrs Thomas.

Guest Book insert;

'Mrs Thomas, you may not remember me, but my name is Motty Mott Mott. I live in Flagstaff AZ, ride MX, fix bikes and sing about freedom. I stayed in your log cabin for 5 nights, you washed my friends clothes, hung em out to dry and brought em back all neatly folded. I hung my washing out and left it for 5 nights too, but Mrs Thomas, you never folded my clothes or washed them. On the 5th night, I shed a tear, brought them in, folded them myself and now I ready to go back to the USA. Mrs Thomas, I have one question for you.....What would you do if you had to fold my clothes for Freedom?. Thanks again for having us, your place was swell. Motty Mott Mott.'
K, so in our rush, we forgot the guest book entry, but I am sure if Motty had the chance, that's what he'd have written!! We totally landed on our feet with accom at the Bill this year, a last minute booking, 4* digs with leather sofa's...I know, I know, I can feel you rubbing your thighs in delight!!










So, this week, it was Barbados and the USA, Buhl, Motty, Steve and Dave. The most amazing bunch of DH boys I have ever roomed with, they showered us with culinary delights and mechanical comfort all week long (a.k.a Dave fixed my puncture!). It was a quiet week for us, but boy did the riding benifit!


I have to say tho, I didn't ride on form just because of the good grub and early nights.....it was more to do with the arrival of the Angel! Mr B from TREK carried yet another steed across the pond for me, but this time it was a little different ;). The Session 88, A.K.A. 'Angel' went down a storm on course, she pedalled a dream, cornered like a waltzer in full spin and jumped like a frog from the pond. I was in my element all week. I haven't felt at one with a bike like that for yonks, that sounds like a pile of cods-wollup, but it's true! The press were lovin it too. It's was the first in the country and it's seriously going to be a BIG deal next season. I rode it as stock, no Ti spring, stock wheels and FOX forks and with all of that, after a weigh in on the TOMAC scales, it came to a mere 39lbs. In the US the guys have fitted some lighter parts and got it down to 32lbs. The lightness and the plush linkage on the rear end which does the same as a floating brake will separate the bike from it's counterparts and lead the way for light, responsive bikes off the shelf in the future. Keep your eyes peeled for more info, reports and product feedback.....and if you want more specifics, check out the TREK site. I spent Friday afternoon in a photo shoot with Geoff Waugh. I have used some of his pics here and on the side of the main page. We were out on the trails for a couple of hours and got some great shots. It was so much fun, Geoff is great pro photographer as you can see. Check out his site http://www.waughphotos.com/


The track was the usual Fort Bill gnar, but the additional changes this year made it flow beautifully, the course builders were on top of most of the diving braking bumps, although it was still horrendously rough, hard on bike and body it seemed easier to ride. They removed the crappy left hand rock corner onto the motorway and replaced it with a smooth kicker, so you could carry your speed right through. The wood section was sweet too, no changes there, but the dryness helped for sure. B.T.W The photo below was sent to me from www. phunkt.com


K, so quali was great on Sunday, I qualified 18th and was over the moon until I realised that a few of the faster burds got red flagged. After they had their second run, their times pushed me out of the final and I finished 22nd. Gutted by that, but not too dismayed as I know, finally after three bad races that I am back up to my speed, and the monkey that has been weighing me down is now firmly off my back!!













So, round up without the babble. Buhl got on 2 podiums GO GAL! Fi popped some ribs OUCH! The after party was a total FLOP. Almost the entire Syndicate squad got on the podium which was great to see, it was also ace to see Nathan back on form, about time too! Freedom turns were UNREAL. J.D has the most BIZARRE wardrobe!! Brian from the CYCLEJERSEY is a total leg-end and has made us the coolest custom fitted jerseys EVER! Dan A.K.A Blabbermouth, my team manager is officially the rad-est MC to date. Everyone should embrace the elbow dance.

For results, as usual, you can check the UCI site http://www.uci.ch/.


Beers in. X

1 comment:

Humphries and Anderson said...

Yo Martypants hows the fufu? i am doin a blog as well now-
http://onlythepunkcansaveusnow.blogspot.com/

still not up to your level though! Joe x