Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Oooot the Parish!

Its been a while since I we all did a lake pub crawl!! Last time was on the General Lee, Zaks unbelieveably fast illegal speed boat (speed boats are banned on Lake Ullswater, thanks to the white afro stuck in the mud attitudes on noise pollution HUMPH! No wakeboarding for us :( ) the guys can get the General from one end of the lake (9miles) to the other in 7 mins! A few nights ago there was a few too many of us for the GL, so we used Lord Pymonts chugger!! Lord Pymont is a Scottish Lord with an extensive penchant for fishing in the lakes, legend!! It took us an hour to get from one end to the other, but it was lovely, the sun was low and warm in the sky, great night for it! We landed in Pooley Bridge and went to the Sun Inn...after a few there in the beer garden, we 'chugged' to Howtown to the Hotel for the usual snakebites.... tradition, not choice! It was quite a civilised night out of the parish for the hill billies, no monster trucks, no go karts, no donuts on speed boats, no trials bikes, no burn outs IN THE PUB on MX bikes or stupidity and certainly no-mink trap checks!!








I spent a day working at the World Rowing Championships last week, it was inspirational, super fit athletes everywhere with one goal; To win! Rowing is a cool sport to watch, and more-so at the top level, the guys and girls make it look so graceful! With my Championships coming up, I'm grabbing every ounce of inspiration going. My new team jerseys went off to press today, my custom helmet is underway, Fly have given me some cool yellow/blue kit and the offical Barbados team passes are being assigned!! The race is just gonna ROCK THE WORLD! 60'000 spectators and an atmosphere to engulf! BRING IT ON!










I committed a cardinal sin a few weeks back too, I joined the gym and got a trainer!! Its not like am not able to design my own programme, but I need someone to push me, check my technique and spot for me. I hate gyms, so clinical, sterile, unnatural and confined. Training should be fun, running on the mountains, ripping up the trails, rowing on the rivers, sailing on the lakes and climbing the crags. I find gyms frustrating at the best of times and don't get the fix the meat heads or the gym bunnies have with 'hanging' out in them. Half those types have no actual skill or drive for sport, it is all about the look, the endless rank, misinformed chat about training, technique, fads and food, there is a constant need to out do each other with it all. B.S!! The song 'You're so vein' should be played on loop just for these self obsessed wanna-bees!! The buff guys love the skinny bints n vice versa, ah, the new age hook ups, how fickle!! It's comical to watch the inter gym incest fest. They could make a TV show about it! I can see it now, 'The Gym'....Episode 1. Tracy and Dave get down in the steam room under the excited delusion that they are the first, the only and the most original!! Little do they realise that they are probs rolling around in the greasy residue and STDs left by the multitude of other insatiable gym addicts!! GOOOOUUUU. And breath.......

I've a kick ass programme, mainly explosive ballistic work and plyometrics, I need to build on my power output and lactate tolerance. It is hilarious, my trainer has me literally throwing and and dropping the weights!! Fort Bill is long, and last time I was there it hurt!! It should hurt tho, but not because I am unfit, because I am pushing my limits. I don't want my fitness to hold me back next month. Apart from spinning classes, I'm doing every bit of CV outside, I have no reason to be cooped up like a not so funky chicken!! I found the coolest machine there today tho, spent 30 mins pressing the buttons before I had to stop b/c I felt sick. It was ace, it spat out skittles, XL cheese crisps, mars bars, highland chews, the works!! MAGIC! X
Speaking of CV, I had a wicked ride out the other night, a big group of us from home, one of the guys was on the Cotswald Adventure Racing squad. The stuff they do is UNREAL! His team came 30th in the World Champs, 7 days across Scotland, day 1 was a 65km paddle from an island to the main land, day 2 was a 150km cycle with next to no sleep....the list goes on!! Puts my perception of an epic ride well into perspective!! We were out for a few hours in the rain and mud n had a slip slidy ball! Good old school natural rocky lakeland riding! Cannae beat it! X

No comments: