Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

MX in the Desert

So, on the last day in Phoenix, Buhl, Dave and I opened up the gas in the Desert. We had a fruit salad mix of bikes, a 450, a 250 and a lil 125...Me being the rookie...I got the 125, it rocked the hooose dooon!
Buhly gave me a 5 min plug into the Matrix of all things MX, one down, two up, clutch in and out (just like a car)...bla bla bla....off I went, turned nicely and came back down. As I approached, I suddenly realised I didn't really have a scooby doo how to brake. One quick plug into the Matrix of all things brakes at 150 decibels and 173mph from TopFuel and I ground to a controlled halt, no worries!

After experiencing a desert toilet, picture something out of trainspotting +20 odd degrees, I freaking out, peed in the sand and we set off, eagarly in search of a typical desert scene. After a few miles, we resigned ourselves to the fact that maybe we won't see a coyote perched ass end up on a cactus. Disappointed and shattered from the chase, Melissa and I convened to wait for Dave who was struggling in the 'wash' (deep sand). After a few moments, an obscure bellowing came from around an arid desert bush....Had Dave captured the infamous cactus butt plugged coyote??!! Not quite...the bellowing clarified upon his wobbly approach and it became clear that he had not found the infamous cactus butt plugged coyote. On the contary, his exact words were...'Melissa, this MX stuff sucks, I'd rather stick a cactus up my ass...SLOWLY!! All of us bent over double, I think we can safely say, Dave was not enjoying the loose sand!! We headed back to base camp, Dave chilled out and Top fuel and I went off on another BLAST.

We got back to a slightly sultery Dave who was lying, parched and shrivelled up in the back of the truck. Melissa had taken the keys by accident. Dave took it tight that day....but I am sure she made it upto him with a good ole erm....beer. ;). On that note, I will leave you with an image of the sunset in Phoenix, taken from Camelback mountain.....it was a treat first hand let me tell ya!

1 comment:

hilslamer said...

I recognize that Sherco!

Outstanding storytelling...great to meet you - sorry we didn't get out for a ride.