Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Feel da rhythm, feel the vibe, get on up...its DH time!

Have you ever thrown caution to the wind and followed your dreams?

I sat back last night with a tired humph, when I get that feeling, I usually wack on a bit of a motivational Rocky movie to perk me up. Last night, I stumbled upon 'Cool Runnings' n stuck it in the player. I don't usually watch films on my own in bed, so the start seemed a little strange. After about 10 mins, the Caribbean humour had me chuckling n cheesin away, by the end I was in tears, n my P.J.s sleeves were soaked!! I forgot what a cool story it was! I took a bit of inspiration from that film!! As the only international DH competitor representing Barbados, I felt a little alience with those guys!
For the first time, last night, the reality of the scale of the 2007 World Champs hit me. I have 6 months before I have the honour of riding with my countries flag on my back, and I am more determined than ever to bring home a good result. There are few people who ever get the honour of representing their own country doing something they love, and I am lucky to be one of them. I have felt proud to be able to race in two World Championships so far and tonight, watching that film brought back that feeling. It's the most emotional race a cyclist can ever be involved in. There is no prouder moment than when you parade out at the opening ceremony of a Championships, behind a flag bearer holding your national flag. On the start line, you feel the biggest fear you could possibly feel, every1 steps it up for the Champs, and you know, from somewhere, you have to ride faster than ever. With tens of thousands of people littering the course, T.V cameras everywhere and helicopters buzzing around your head, you have to stay focused on the track, your lines and your run. Crossing a finish line, looking back at the clock with your countries initials next to your name is an amazing feeling. This year will be 10 times more meaningful as it is not only going to be held in Scotland, but I will have the support of my friends and family.
Its sometimes hard to get motivated, but if you know something that will drive you, even if it is only for a day, then grab it by the horns and got for gold!
Kiss ma egg! x
The photos are, from the top. Livignio, Italy. World Champs. 2005 and Les Gets, France. World Chmapionships, 2004.


No comments: