Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Fort Willy

So, riding, last week I took part in round 3 of the Scottish Summer series in Fort William. It was my first glance at the World Championship course, and first glances were good. I nailed everything on course and got to grips with it after a few runs. It always takes a while to get a feel for that course, it is a real boobie shaker, exhausting to say the least. The new top section has added 20 seconds for the fast boys (Steve and Renoir) and 25 seconds for Tray-Mo. I seriously need to build up my lactate tolerance and stamina before the big day (12 weeks to and counting!). In the race, I crashed hard, high siding on one of the bridges. Total school girl error, but I was chasing a time and although I had had a blinder of a run, I was to shattered to hold on and lost control. I'm paying for it tho....big ole bruise on my SIP (Side impact protection system, or hip!!).
The course has been adapted a little for the World Championships. It starts about 20meters from the gondola station. From the start you hit a surface similar to hard packed sand, there is a hip jump, some really big sweeping berma and a lot of decking, to get upto speed you need to belt on the pedals all the way down. The new section meets the old course at the first bus stop where the terrain changes back to the rough Fort William style rocks. At the bottom on the motorway, the jumps have changed slightly, everything is the same until after the hip jump, their is a kicky tabletop before the first origional double and there is another tabletop after that. At the finish, the small double has been built up to a tripple which is pretty big, you can still double it up tho. The tripple is faster but very unforgiving if you don't make it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frighten/562081534/in/set-72157600385021241/

So that is y'all upto speed for now.

Peace out.









No comments: