Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Kite flying extravaganza

So a few weeks ago, Greg and I embarked on the idea of getting to grips with kite flying! We have the smallest amount of time together as it is, and certainly don't need another hobby, but this really took us by storm. I love the water and I really want Greg to get into surfing/kite surfing or something similar, so this seemed like a good way of venturing into it. We found a cool spot on St Andrews beach which is usually populated with wind and kite surfers and kite flyer's and the occasional small soupie grom surfer.

We had a cool first session with an intimate lesson from John, the legendary Fife Cycles main cheese! In less than an hour both managed a few loop de loops and a small short and quite pitiful linked up blast on the beach board. It was ace, total upper body and abs work out.

On Monday we ventured out again in a force off the scale gale! Greg had his first blast and decided it was way too windy to be cool. I had to have a shot, and actually believed that I could do it. I managed to get it up in the air, but before I knew it the wind had snatched the kite, nearly threw me on the ground and I let go of one of the handles which catapulted over towards some parked cars and nearly too someones head off and windscreen out. Still not satisfied, I gave it another shot and was dragged to the ground! Needless to say, it was far too strong for lil ole me, and after a serious reprimanding for being an irresponsible kite flyier from Greg, we packed up! We went back a few hours later when the wind had died down a little and had the most amazing session. Greg loop in 15 loop de loops and I got dragged along the floor more than 3 times, I cut my leg and nearly ripped my neck off!! Aside from all that, we left with big smiles all round and didn't get back to base until just after 11!!


No comments: