Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Day at the Dowgs!


Mush Mush...

6.00am my alarm went off this morning!! Far too early for me, but since we were heading over to the Wes-side to spectate in a round of the British Siberian Husky Racing Series I leaped out of my cozy warm bed and hopped straight into pack lunch prep.

As the sun rose over Fife, we approached Kinshandy Forest just outside of Leuchers near St Andrews. Multiple teams of dogs and owners were nestled deep in the forest, all prepared for a swift mornings racing. The dogs race in packs of 6, 4, 3, 2 or 1 and pull a rig with a driver. The rigs are crazy little numbers adapted for the job with a surprising amount of bits and bobs from mountain bikes (stems/forks/brakes).

I was stoked to see how well the dogs behaved and worked as a team in order to tow the rig round the various courses. I have never seen such an abundance of obedient dogs in one area. I have also never smelt such a pungent whiff!! The downfall of dog racing I guess!



Am off wid a few of ma pals on the the neighbours bams trikes, we-a skippin rope ta roond up some ferrel strays n-ave an urban dowg race. If yer up for it...meetchas at mine. 9pm...Game on!! Cheers Aldo for the splendid idea.

Mush mush....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you learned something from all those well trained puppies! They are pretty impressive animals!