Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

SGV Island life.

I landed here in SVG (St Vincent and the Grenadines) late on Saturday night after a long ass flight. I flew from Manchester to Barbados, 24 hours late as my first flight was cancelled. When I touched down in Barbados I jumped onto an island plane for a quick 35 minute flight west to the small islands of SVG in the West Indies (Caribbean). If you have seen the pirates of the Caribbean, you will have seen SVG, as it was shot on location here. The island is small, beautiful beaches, constant 28-32 degrees, and food to die for.

I was met from the plane by my two hunky cousins, Chester and Grant. They are like celebrities on the island, everyone, and I mean everyone knows who they are, Ches has his own T.V. show and Grant is one of the best Lawyers on the island. I had to fill in an emigration form before passing thru emigration, but I didn’t know the address of Chester’s place, so confused, n blonde, I just said, oh, I’m staying with my cousin. ’Who you cousin’ said the emigration officer, I told him, n he shouted across the room to his colleague..where ‘Chester stay now-a-dayz na?’ The address was fired straight back, my form completed and I was sent on my way! Bonza!

We cruised back to Chester’s place and within 30 mins of being on the island, we were overtaken by a total foot to the floor boy, 5 minutes later, we passed him again, car sideways, squashing another car against the wall, and police on site. Pile up!! Chester leans out of the window n shouts. ‘Officer, dat man, he been speeding all night lang, ha ha!!’ There is one road on the island, it goes up to the top n down to the bottom, no lines in the middle and millions of pot holes!! It is a total free for all! There are few rules and it is just wicked.

I just spent the last few days catching up with family. I have loads of family here, Grandparents, and uncle and aunt, great uncles and aunts and loads of fab cousins, hence my link to the Caribbean! So, on Sunday I rocked up at our family home to surprise my grandparents who I haven’t seen for 21 years!! Life on the islands is very colonial, and my grandparents, are the epitamy of the colonial islanders, native to the Caribbean, they sit down for high-T at 4 every afternoon and tune into BBC world service daily! It’s a simple life, with few complications, and they just love it!!

The food is just awesome, heads up nutritionists, this island life is clean n fresh, no 'ready mades', no convenience, no MSG, no ‘high in SFA labels’. Its all straight from the land. I’ve eaten fresh fish straight form the sea everyday, its day 3 and barracuda, red snappa, shark n shrimp have flown down da hatch so far! Fruit grows everywhere. Chester has a banana and coconut tree, lime and cherry trees in his garden. Grandma an Grandpa have a few including a mango, bread fruit and guava tree! They add loads of sugar to everything, and you are never far away from a bottle o rum, but hey, that ain't a bad thing?! I spent the night before last on my cousins friends yaught, sippin down da rum punch and watching the sun set! We watched it go right down n were lucky enough to see the green flash of the sun disappearing for the night. A rare sight!

Ok, so a download on the funny stuff. I learned that when I was 6, I went to church in my nightie and interrupted my Grandpas sermon, telling him to hush I because I was the lady bishop and it was my turn to talk...Can you imagine? In my nightie in front of a whole congregation! It is not uncommon for the door to the cockpit in the island planes to remain open!! They have just enforced a seat belt law, but the country-town taxi service consists of guys piled into the back of pick ups!!

Its early here, 8am. I’m off for a run before it gets too hot, then its off to the beach to test out my new snorkel stuff!! See how the reefs here compare to the Red Sea. Ola.

No comments: