Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

La Soufrier.

The early bird catches the worm!! It was a 7am-er this morn, total shock to the system let me tell you!! I met up with Ozzy from Sailors Tours and to hike the only active Volcano on the island; La Soufrier. (The french word for sulphur). The weather was pretty bad when we set out, overcast and wet, but this was a bonus as it meant the air was fresh which made exercising easy. It was an hours drive to the north end of the island, thanks to Ozzys PhD (Pot hole dodging) the ride was smooth. He told us all about the local history, info on the plantations, coconut and banana, and loads of other really cool bites of local knowledge. For those who know me, you know I ain't so hot on the old walking shizzel. As my Grandfather said the other night...'Hiking a mount-in, why you wan' go do dat? Walkin'z fa donkeees!!' .







Us Brits know already, lucozade is available in all good shops in general! I didn't expect to see it in the supermarket in St Vincent!! Or at 4048ft upto the top of a Volcano!! Bob on!

Lunch was a massive finger licking portion of kingfish with loads of crazy Caribbean salad, as soon as it was done, we skooted along the coast a little further to the salt pond. We passed loads of crazy villages on the way, life there is basic I tell you, most of the land in the north is inhabited by the Caribs. Almost shanty townish, a total extreme from town living. The salt pond was breathtaking, it's surrounded by lava rock which traps in the sea water, creating shallow, salt dense ponds for swimming.


So, I saw 2 football games where half the players didn't have shoes, a woman with a bleached afro, and a bleached afro beard to match!! There are humming birds everywhere and I got myself a lovely bunch of juicy coconuts!!


No comments: