Jaymie Mart - BARBADOS NATIONAL DOWNHILL TEAM - one of the most colourful and well loved athletes on the UCI Mountain Bike World Cup tour today.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Santiago to Vigo and onto Baiona!

Day one....

What a trek! I woke in the airport at the ungodly hour of 5.30am an sorted myself out! The place was riddled with British racers, luckily going in the same direction as me! The mojo riders, Stanny, Camilini and one of the UK Giant riders, Tom Braithwaite and his Mum Jane.

Jane and I snuck off for a brief spell of what we as girls do best, and branched out in duty free while the boys did what I can only imagine was hanging around and talking bikes!! I slept the whole flight, landed into Santiago and was welcomed by a nice warm breeze.

I am the most disorganised traveler in the world, and strongly believe that when time is not of the essence, its far more fun to 'wing it'! Needless to say, I didn't have a clue how I was getting from Santiago to Vigo, but once again, I got lucky and landed a lift with the Braithwaites! We stopped half way and sampled some local fish and an ice cream and headed on to the mecca of crazy road networks that is Vigo.

Once in Vigo, we headed to the official hotel and hooked up with my teamies and a few other brits! We spent the rest of the afternoon chilling and lazing by the pool. I snoozed off in the sunshine and woke up as I was being swung into the pool!! It was freezing...and my phone was in my pocket..good bye phone!! I was the first in, but certainly not the last, after I told everyone it was warmish (lies!!) they all bomb dived in too!!
The view of Baiona bay from our appartment window.

Tonight we spent the night at one of the most amazing seafood restaurants, cracking and smashing our way through a massive platter of fish!

The seafood platter FOR 2!! The Spanish know how to eat!

Early night for me and early to rise for course inspection and registration....and no doubt to see all the cool folks that form the circus that is the World Cup DH circuit! Jilly bean and me in a tree on our post T stroll on the coastal path.

Bye bye. XXX

No comments: